Tournament Rules - updates

Here are the Tournment Rules for Revised Axis & Allies
Larry

Post by Larry » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:34 am

I'll second that...

GSmorey

Tech's

Post by GSmorey » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:26 pm

I third it...I have to agree with Larry on this one.
The role of techs in this revised editions has become too important. Axis & Allies is about the average tank and infantry unit. Its about the sub and limits of this unit type or that unit type…. IT’S NOT ABOUT TECHS. After the launch of the revised game it became clear to me that techs were playing too large a role in the game. It was quickly becoming a tech race. Tech’s were important in WWII , but it was the WWI BAR that counted on the battlefield or the Russian T-34 that pushed to Berlin.
When Larry and the gang where writing them, I was for the delay as well. Tech's are, IMO a desperation attempt to win a game that has gone south...I have seen this way too many times for one to argue...but I guess that is why some do!

Thanks for all the hard work Larry.
GS :D

Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:08 pm

:oops:

Juggernought

Re: No Sneaky Technology

Post by Juggernought » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:09 pm

DonMoody wrote:"First of all techs should not be used as some sort of sneak attack process… "

This is about as right as one can get.
What major, strategic level operations had - as a significant part of the operation - technological advances surprising the enemy?

The closest is the Germans encountering Russian T-34s in late 1941.
And considering they had captured/destroyed something like 1,000 or so of those in the previous months of 1941, any 'surprise' was much from German arrogance as it was from some quick advance of enemy technology.

No one should be surprised by a technological advancement of the enemy.
Any benefit from the technological advancement should be the advancement itself, not some 'surprise - I got this tech' affect.

DonMoody
You are talking about historic reality, but I think game balance is a much better focus. However I agree upon that any rules should not be completely unrealistic. The surprise effect of technological advancement is not completely unrealistic, for example you mentioned the T-34. I think it will be more balanced to stick to the surprise effect since I think technology is too expensive at 5 IPC’s per die roll. If this surprise effect will be lost, I found technology not much more than just a national advantage. So the question is if technology should be cheaper or should one turn all technologies into general advantages that could be chosen :?: