AAR: Enhanced v2.0 Final
1. 15 Victory Cities
-Caucasus (Rus), Australia (UK), and Hawaii (US) are added as VCs for a total of 15
-Allies start with 9/15 VC, Axis starts with 6/15 VC
-Allies need11/15 VC at the end of a ROUND (ie. US TURN) to win
-Axis need10/15 VC at the end of a ROUND (ie. US TURN) to win
2. Reduced Costs for IC
-Industrial Complexes now cost 12IPC
3. LHTR rules apply
-This variant uses Larry Harris Tournament Rules (LHTR)
-This is a set of rules developed by the 4 major PBEM clubs, with Larry Harris' input, which clarify ambiguities and removes gamebreaking strategies present in the original out-of-the-box Avalon Hill (AH) rules, thus resulting in a ruleset more conducive to tournament play.
-see the accompanying document LHTRchanges.txt for a full description
4. Convoy Raids
-Due to their heavier dependance on convoys for shipping, UK,US, and Japan are subject to Convoy Raids. These are economic attacks, conducted by subs, close to enemy shipping lanes (ie. near an IC). Russian and German ICs are not subject to such attacks.
-On the UK, US, and Japan Collect Income Phases, for every Enemy SUB within 1 SZ of (ie. directly adjacent to) an IC owned by that respective country, subtract 2IPC from their collected income. For every Enemy SUB within 2 SZ of an IC, subtract 1IPC. If a SUB became submerged during this TURN's Conduct Combat Phase, it does not do any economic damage.
-Multiple SUBs may affect a single IC, with damage capped at the Territory's IPC value. Any individual SUB, can only affect one IC/TURN, but may affect multiple ICs/ROUND (eg. a German SUB in SZ 8 cannot affect UK ICs in both UK and Canada on the same TURN. It can however, affect the UK IC on UK's Collect Income Phase, and then the EUS IC on US's Collect Income Phase later in the ROUND)
5. D-Day Invasion
-Once during the game, at the start of UK's turn, you may declare a D-Day Invasion. D-Day invasion can only target Western Europe.
-Conduct your UK turn as normal, including combat and non-combat for any units you do not anticipate participating in the D-Day invasion. Keep in mind that any units that move this turn, be it combat or non-combat, cannot participate. Also, units purchased this turn cannot be used either.
-On the US turn, the US player uses your eligible units in his combat and non-combat moves together with his own units. UK units can only be used in an attack on Western Europe (including clearing a SZ for an amphibious assault)
-You and the U.S. player must agree on attacking casualties, or the opposing player gets to choose them. Antiaircraft fire is rolled separately against each nationality of air units. Techs or NAs still only apply to the units of the power that has them. A joint strike may not be called off once it is declared.
6. Nonagression Treaty as Standard
-The first time in the game that Japanese forces attack any red territory (ie. original Russian territory), Russia may place four free INF in that territory before resolving combat. If Japan attacks more than one red territory in that turn, Russia may decide which territory receives the INF. If Russia attacks an orange territory before Japan attacks a red territory, the Nonagression Treaty is void and Russia gives up their access to the free INF.
7. Bid for the Axis
-Both players send a bid to a neutral 3rd party (or automated bid server). The bid represents how many additional IPCs you feel you need, to make for a balanced game playing the Axis (the less confident you feel with the Axis, the higher you should bid). The player bidding lower plays Axis. 1/2 of the player's bid (rounded down), may be spent on units to be placed prior to game start, for either Germany or Japan. Any remaining IPCs not spent on units, can be distributed between Germany and Japan as cash to be spent first turn.
ENHANCED NAVAL COMBAT:
1. Price Changes
-Destroyer is now 10IPC
-Aircraft Carrier is now 14IPC
-Bomber is now 14IPC
-Battleship is now 20IPC
2. Attribute Changes
-Aircraft Carrier is now 1/2 (attacks at 1, defends at 2)
3. New SUB Detection Rules
-Aircraft CANNOT attack a SZ consisting only of enemy SUBs UNLESS the aircraft are accompanied by at least ONE Naval Unit
-Aircraft CAN attack a SZ consisting of enemy SUBs PLUS other enemy naval vessels
-Both attacking and defending SUBs are said to be "Undetected" at the start of Combat
-Each DD present in the attacking or defending force roll a SUB Detection Roll @3 or less. At least ONE successful roll means ALL of the opposing sides SUBs are "Detected" and combat resumes as normal. A failed roll (or no roll if there are no DDs) means ALL of the opposing sides' SUBS remain "Undetected" and therefore, do not have their special abilities cancelled by any opposing DDs.
-This means any enemy units hit by the SUBs in Opening Fire are removed IMMEDIATELY. Also, the SUB has the ability to submerge IMMEDIATELY after Opening Fire and thus avoid further combat. If the SUB chooses to stay, it is now considered "Detected" and combat resumes as normal (including having it's special abilities cancelled by opposing DDs)
eg. Combat Phase
1. Place Units on Battle Board
1a. Attempt Sub Detection (***1st round only***)
-Aircraft cannot be used to attack a territory consisting only of SUBs unless at least ONE NAVAL UNIT is present in the attacking force
-roll 1 die @ 3 for each attacking DD, a successful roll detects ALL defending SUBs
-roll 1 die @ 3 for each defending DD, a successful roll detects ALL attacking SUBs
-"Undetected" SUBs do not have their special abilities cancelled by enemy DDs
2. Conduct Opening Fire
-attacking SUBs roll 1 die @ 2
-defending SUBs roll 1 die @ 2
3. Remove Opening Fire Casualties
-if attacking SUBs were "Undetected", remove all defending Opening Fire Casualties immediately (enemy DD does not cancel this)
-if defending SUBs were "Undetected", remove all attacking Opening Fire Casualties immediately (enemy DD does not cancel this)
3a. Undetected SUBs may submerge (***1st round only***)
-As they are "Undetected", enemy DD does not cancel this
-any SUBs not electing to submerge are considered "Detected" at this point and subject to attack (ie. eligible to be taken as casualties)
-combat resumes as per normal rules from here on out
4. Attacking Units Fire
5. Defending Units Fire
6. Remove casualties
7. Press attack or retreat
-surviving SUBs may submerge again here, but as they are now all "Detected", enemy DDs cancel this ability
8. Capture territory
-Also, SUBs may pass through a SZ containing Enemy Naval Units, INCLUDING Destroyers. This must occur during the Combat Phase and the opposing player gets 1 roll @ 3 for each DD to detect the SUBs. If "Detected", combat resumes in that SZ. If "Undetected", the SUBs may pass through. The second SZ may be friendly, empty, or hostile (the player must have declared his intent to move into the second SZ at the start of combat)
1. Heavy Bombers
-Your bombers are now Heavy Bombers. They roll 2 dice in attack and SBR (as per original AH rules)
-the combined totalof all economic attacks (SBR,Rockets,Subs) on a territory, are limited to that territory's IPC value per TURN
2. Jet Fighters
-Your fighters are now Jet Fighters. Their defense increases to 5, their SBR defense increases to 1, and enemy AA to hit values against them decrease by 1 (ie. to 0, unless they have Radar)
-For EACH FTR in a territory undergoing SBR, you may roll a single die at 1, to "intercept" (ie. immediately destroy) an incoming bomber. This occurs in the Conduct Opening Fire phase, after any antiaircraft gun fire, if present.
3. Super Subs
-Your subs are now Super Subs. Their attack increases to 3, and enemy SUB detection rolls decrease by 1 (If SUB detection is currently at 3, the DD now requires a 2 or less to detect the SUBs)
4. Combined Arms
-Your destroyers can now conduct bombardment during an amphibious assault (attack at 3). Also, their SUB detection roll increases by 1 (If SUB detection is currently at 3, the DD now requires a 4 or less to detect the SUBs). Your battleships can now shoot down attacking air units during the Conduct Opening Fire phase (2 attacks at 1 per battleship).
-Whenever an enemy air unit enters a territory containing a battleship, roll 2 dice at 1 during the Conduct Opening Fire phase for each DEFENDING battleship ( Multiple battleships may fire). If the attacking force consists of only FTRs or only BMBRs, then both AA shots are directed at that group. If the attacking force consists of FTRs and BMBRs, one shot is directed at each group, even if the FTR group may be all Jet Fighters - in which case, one die would still be rolled vs. the BMBRs, but there is no need to roll the one die vs. the FTRs. This is so that having Jet Fighters in your attack force doesn't put your BMBRs more at risk)
-AA shots are fired on the first cycle of combat only.
-Battleships still get their regular roll during the Defending Units Fire Phase.
5. Major and Minor Techs
-Major Techs cost 5IPC/roll and include Rockets, and Heavy Bombers
-Minor Techs cost 4IPC/roll and include Super Subs, Long-Range Aircraft, Combined Arms, and Jet Fighters
6. New 4:2 Tech Rule
-The first time you roll for a particular Tech, you MUST purchase a minimum of 4 rolls that turn
-The second time you roll for that Tech, you MUST purchase a minimum of 2 rolls that turn, but you recieve the Tech automatically
-You MAY purchase ALL 6 rolls in ONE turn, and recieve the Tech automatically (thus a choice between expensive but quick vs. potentially cheaper but also potentially later)
-In all cases, Tech doesn't come into effect until the end of the turn you recieve it (as per LHTR rules)
7. Shared Tech
-If any ally has acquired a Tech, you may roll for that same Tech at 1IPC/roll less (e.g. If Japan acquires Super Subs on J1 at 4IPC/roll, then Germany may attempt to roll for Super Subs on G2 at only 3IPC/roll)
-Regular 4:2 rules still apply
1. Method of Deployment
-Each side will have a total of 4 NAs Each
-NAs do not come into effect until declared
-During the 1st ROUND, each country declares 1 NA at the start of their TURN. This NA comes into effect immediately.
-During the 2nd ROUND, Ger and Jap each declare 1 NA at the start of their respective TURNS'. The Allies only get 1 NA in the 2nd ROUND, which must be given to either Rus,UK or US. It is to be declared at the start of the selected country's TURN.
1. Russian Rail - In the NCM phase, your INF, AAGuns, and RTL may move 2 territories per turn only among these territories: Bury,Yak,Novo,Rus,WRus and Kar. You can only move into or through a territory if you controlled it at the start of your turn.
2. Russian Winter - Once during the game in your Collect Income phase, you can declare a severe winter. Until the start of your next turn, your INF defend on a 3.
3. Lend-Lease - During your Mobilize Units phase, you can convert up to 10IPC worth of Allied units into Soviet units if they are in a red territory. These may be land or air units. Remove the affected units from play and replace them with the same units of your own color.
4. Russian T-34's - Your ARM in red territories defend on a 4.
1. Panzerblitz - If your attacking forces destroy all defending units in a territory in one cycle of combat, any of your surviving ARM may move 1 territory during NCM.
2. Atlantic Wall - During any Amphibious Assault against a gray territory, all your INF defend on a 3 on the first cycle of combat.
3. Luftwaffe Dive-Bombers - During the first cycle of combat, if there are no defending FTRs present, your FTRs hit on a roll of 4 or less. In succeeding cycles of combat, the FTRs hit normally. If defending FTRs are present, this ability is cancelled. This NA applies to both Land and Naval Combat. Your FTRs are still subject to any AA Fire.
4. Wolf Packs - Your SUBs attack on a 3 (4 with Super Subs) if there are at least two of them at the start of the combat cycle. When there are less than two SUBs at the start of a combat cycle, this ability is lost. Wolf Packs does not improve defending SUBs. Enemy DDs do not affect this NA. The SUBs may come from different SZs, but must attack the same SZ. For Convoy Raids, when there are at least two German SUBs in the same SZ (which didn't submerge during this TURN's Conduct Combat Phase), and they are within 2SZ of the enemy IC, the enemy subtracts an additional 1IPC from their collected income. If the group of at least two SUBs are within 1SZ of the enemy IC, the enemy subtracts an additional 2IPC from their collected income.
5. Afrika Corps - Place 1INF,1RTL and 1ARM for free in Libya during the Mobilize Units phase of this turn, if you own it. This can only be used once per game.
6. German 88's - During the first cycle of combat only, on Attack and Defence, your RTL fire in the Conduct Opening Fire phase (instead of the Attacking Units fire and Defending Units fire phases respectively). Casualties are removed immediately.
1. Radar - UK owned AAGuns in tan territories have their AA to hit value increased by 1 (ie.to 2, unless enemy has Jet Fighters)
2. Colonial Garrison - Place 1 free IC and 1 free INF during the Mobilize Units Phase in either ECan,Egy,SAfr,Ind or Aus (ie. territories worth 2+ IPC) if you control it. The IC cannot build anything until next turn. This can only be used once per game.
3. The Commonwealth - Place 1 free INF/TURN during the Mobilize Units Phase in either ECan,Egy,SAfr,Ind or Aus (ie. territories worth 2+ IPC) if you control it.
4. The Royal Navy - Place 1 free DD during the Mobilize Units Phase off the coast of ECan,Egy,SAfr,Ind,Aus or UK (ie. territories worth 2+ IPC and UK) if you control the land territory. You may place the DD even if the SZ is enemy-occupied. This can only be used once per game.
1. Yamato Class Battleships - Your BBs attack and defend on a 5. This NA includes Bombardment.
2. Tokyo Express - Your DDs gain limited transport capability. Maximum carrying capacity is 2INF per DD. Each DD can be used during either Combat or NCM, but not both.
i) COMBAT - Your DDs can load and/or unload only 1 INF during Combat. As per LHTR rules, a unit loaded in Combat must be unloaded in Combat on the same TURN (unless DD is sunk or forced to retreat). If the SZ is hostile, your DD must first participate in Naval Combat (at full strength, ie.3/3). If your DD survives, it may then unload 1INF into the Amphibious Assault.
-If you have the Combined Arms Tech, your DD can Bombard, BUT only if there was no Naval Combat prior to the Amphibious Assault
ii) NON-COMBAT - Your DDs not participating in Combat can load and/or unload up to 2 INF during NCM. INF loaded during Combat do not need to be unloaded the same TURN, and may remain aboard the DD. A loaded DD does not suffer any combat penalties (ie. it remains 3/3)
3. Kaiten Torpedoes - At the start of a sea combat (on both attack and defense), the Japanese player designates up to two of his SUBs as Kaitens.
-In the first cycle of combat, Kaitens hit in the Opening Fire step of combat (meaning, their casualties cannot hit back) - each Kaiten specifies one specific enemy unit which it tries to hit (two Kaitens could specify the same target unit, but they cannot call off an attack or change targets once conduct combat begins). Kaitens hit on a 3 in attack and defense (4 in attack with Super Subs). Kaitens cannot be hit by enemy units! Instead, they automatically die after the first cycle of combat, whether they have hit or not.
-Enemy DDs have no effect on Kaitens and no Detection Roll is needed if the enemy SUBs consist only of Kaitens (exception: if Kaitens are trying to move through a DD occupied SZ, a successful Detection Roll will require them to stop and conduct combat in that SZ as regular SUBs). You are limited to 2 Kaitens per TURN.
4. Kamikaze Attacks - At the start of a sea combat (on both attack and defense), the Japanese player designates up to two of his FTRs (not BMBRs) as Kamikazes. Attacking air units may use their full range of movement (4 regular, 6 with LRA) to reach the SZ without needing a friendly territory to land.
-Kamikazes are subject to AA Fire (land-based AAGuns or BBs with Combined Arms Tech) and are removed immediately if hit
-In the first cycle of combat, Kamikazes hit in the Opening Fire step of combat (meaning, their casualties cannot hit back) - each Kamikaze specifies one specific enemy unit which it tries to hit (two Kamikazes could specify the same target unit, but they cannot call off an attack or change targets once conduct combat begins). Kamikazes hit on a 4 in attack and defense (5 on defense with Jets). Kamikazes cannot be hit by enemy units (except AA)! Instead, they automatically die after the first cycle of combat, whether they have hit or not. You are limited to 2 Kamikazes per TURN.
5. Banzai Attacks - Your INF attack at 2 for the first cycle of combat only. However, they may now be accompanied by aircraft and/or bombardment. Accompanying RTL or ARM negate this NA.
6. Naval Advantage - Japan is given a free 12IPC this TURN only, which must be used towards developing a Minor Tech. Regular 4:2 rules still apply, meaning Japan MUST roll a minimum of 4 dice.
1. Mechanized Infantry - Your INF have a move of 2 and may blitz as tanks do.
2. Naval Industry - All of your Naval Units (TRN,SUB,DD,AC,BB) cost 1IPC less
3. Pacific Divisions - Place 1 free INF/TURN during the Mobilize Units Phase in either Sink,Chi,Kwa,Phi,Alsk or Haw if you control it.
4. Special Forces - During an Amphibious Assault, your INF attack at 2 for the first cycle of combat only. These INF may be matched 1:1 with a supporting RTL, in which case, their attack would increase to 3 (for the first cycle only).
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests