Transports and movement in combat movement phase

Here are the Tournment Rules for Revised Axis & Allies
Sabre Von Manteuffel

Transports and movement in combat movement phase

Post by Sabre Von Manteuffel » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:11 pm

Hey Big Lar, got a question. Combat movement is for the puropse of moving attacking unit's into territories owned/controlled by enemy units or held under the banner of an enemy country. Well, this question refers to sea based combat with enemy units in the water. In order to conduct movement, the pieces moved must enter into combat (be capable of attacking thus a anti-aircraft gun cannot be moved during this phase). This is correct as far as I can tell, but I have seen time and time again one piece in particular moved during the combat movement which is incapable of performing combat, the transport. If the transport is part of an amphibious assult then movement during this phase is fine but I have seen it used, empty of cargo and used soley as cannon fodder in sea based combat only. For complete clarification, is the transport allowed to be moved during the combat movement phase to be used as nothing more then a casualty?

Sabre
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank an American Veteran!

TMTM

Post by TMTM » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:18 pm

easy answer... yes.. you can use transports as fodder... you can load them with any land unit and enter them into a combat to unload during combat or non-combat phases.

Sabre Von Manteuffel

not that "easy" an answer....

Post by Sabre Von Manteuffel » Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:50 pm

TMTM,

Its not that simple. Of course you could load an INF on the transport and say you are going to conduct an amphib assault. But the point here (and the wording of the original posting was from a fellow player of mine) is moving an EMPTY transport into combat with all other navy unit for the SOLE reason of losing it (the cheap 8 IPC piece) as fodder.

I have been playing A&A since 85, and have NEVER played a game where someone did not do this at least once in the game. It never really donned on me that it could technically be considered illegal since a transport can NOT conduct combat, therefor should not be moved into combat just to take the hit.

If you want all you navy to stick together, then all your "fighting ships" should move in, clear the enemy out (or make them submerge) and then your transport should move in during the non-combat move.

When my friend posted this question here, it was because we were reading the official LHTR posting and noticed the wording of transport use. Thus, it spawned into a small debate (us vs. what we always seen, not each other), and after almost 20 years, and doing this "fodder move" myself, I think my friend is 100% correct. Unless the transport has a unit on it that could "feasibly" be used for an amphib assult, then just using it as fodder (loaded or not) is ILLEGAL.

I would like Mr. Harris's opinion (and apologize for my colleague writing "Big Lar").

thank you.
If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank an American Veteran!

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Sun May 01, 2005 10:18 am

Welcome, Sabre von Manteuffel!

I am not Larry, but he is quite busy these days and I am kind of the "unofficial rules question guy" around here, so I will take a stab at answering your question.

Unloaded transports may indeed be brought into combat by the attacker. The important point to understand here is that just because the transport has no attack value doesn't mean that it may not participate in combat - it may still be taken as a casualty. This is where transports differ from AA guns. AA guns both have no attack value and may not be taken as casualties, therefore there is no reason to bring them with you in an attack.

I hope this answers your question. Happy gaming!
A&A Developer and Playtester

"War is much more fun when you're winning!" - General Martok

Larry

Post by Larry » Sun May 01, 2005 1:17 pm

Thanks Krieghund – as usual you’re right on. You’re the official Q&A guy around here.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon May 02, 2005 1:25 pm

Cool! Do I get a badge or something? :wink:

Larry

Post by Larry » Mon May 02, 2005 4:57 pm

yeah... go buy yourself a badge. Get a real nice one. Spare no expense.

Krieghund

Post by Krieghund » Mon May 02, 2005 5:29 pm

We don't need no steenking badges!