How many generals?

Newly released Conquest of the Empire by Eagle Games.
Flashman

How many generals?

Post by Flashman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Just wondering if it was ever part of the game that the number of generals (and therefore ultimately legions) a player has to begin with depends on the number of players in total?

The number of legions in the Imperial era tended to be set from about 25 to 30.

6 x 5 = 30
5 x 6 = 30
4 x 8 = 32
3 x 10 = 30
2 x 15 = 30

6 x 4 = 24
5 x 5 = 25
4 x 6 = 24
3 x 8 = 24
2 x 12 = 24

This could have important effects if

1. The total number of combat units available is limited,

2. Barbarians are introduced and therefore the strength of Rome in total vs Barbarians is a factor,

To put it simply, are there too few units on the board in 2 or 3 player games because of the limited number of legions that can be built?

Should players be allowed to combine the units of 2 or 3 sets in this case?

This also allows for "historical" setups whereby a full complement of legions is placed on the board at the start rather than players racing to conquer "empty" space.

ChristophfromGermany

Re: How many generals?

Post by ChristophfromGermany » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:42 am

Hi Flashman,
I don't care too much about the historical accuracy of the game. Does one infantry represent a whole legion or just one cohort (the tenth part of a legion)? Giving the fact that a caesar or general may move up to seven combat units, I would assume it is somewhere in between. However, I like the Eagle Games rules, because now players really buy lots of infantry and only some cavalry, catapults and galleys - that seems very historical to me. The old MB rules clearly favored players that bought lots of catapults, which was absolutely insane.

As the MB game had six generals per player while the Eagle Games version has only four generals per player, I introduced the following house rule: Once the first step of inflation kicks in, every player receives a bonus general for free on his next turn during the placement of new units. Another free general is available when the second step of inflation kicks in. So the six generals still make sense for a game that is played basically with the Eagle Games rules but has the figurines of the MB game.
ChristophfromGermany

No decent man can prefer war to peace, because at peace-time the sons burry their father while at war, the father burries his sons. (Herodot)