New Version

Newly released Conquest of the Empire by Eagle Games.
Imperious leader

Re: New Version

Post by Imperious leader » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:08 pm

SirRah: I am thinking about a cold war game...
tsondaboy: well war in the pasific is biger than A&A 40
tsondaboy: :p
bluesblazzer: need a spre garage to ply it
SirRah: I'm also thinking about a Civil war game...
Lemony: Civil war would be interesting, you could have some sort of general system
panzercanoe: Yes civil war sign me up
seda: Did the impetus for the WWI game come from the A&A community or did it come from a personal connection?
SirRah: Yeah... great period...
buckknowsall: agreed...civil war would be wonderfulk
SirRah: Axis &Allies Civil War - Why not?

SirRah is Larry but i knew long before this that he had ideas and wanted such a game.
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:45 pm

As a concept for a simplified civil war game; 3 tts only as before.

South goes first (middle is unoccupied).

Collect and spend income at end of turn.

Contested tt rule applies as per 1914.
Attachments
AACWmap.GIF
AACWmap.GIF (3.35 KiB) Viewed 2675 times

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:20 pm

deleted
Last edited by Flashman on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:56 pm

deleted
Last edited by Flashman on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:11 pm

Now the wind blows right...what will the map look like then?
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:49 am

Other than adding an eastern expansion, I consider this definitive.

The placement of cities and towns here corresponds to a standard 6 player setup; for other scenarios they would be rearranged.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Some thoughts about how armies might work, based largely on the system used in War of the Ring.

http://www.aresgames.eu/get/WOTR001-Rulebook_EN_web.pdf

Forget about towns and cities "commanding" a legion. Consider all units left in a province with a city, but no leader, to be a garrison. A garrison can be no larger than 5* combat units.

This of course limits each player to 4 mobile legions each commanded by a general, but each legion can now contain up to 10 units i.e. 10 cohorts, with perhaps a bigger pool of units including standard and veteran infantry types. This still leaves potentially 24 legions on the board in a six-player game, which seems plenty. As I've said, I think game of less than 4 players should use only half the board.

When moving into combat, the attacker is considered to be attacking the target province, rather than moving in (which he can only do if he wins the battle).

If the province contains a fortification, then before combat, or after any combat round, the defender can decide to retreat into siege; effectively withdrawing into the fortress to gain its defensive advantage (e.g. only 6's score hits vs defenders). The limit of 5 defenders in a garrison remains, so any units over this are lost. Catapults will have some advantage over fortified defenders. Note that, in general, Barbarians do not have siege engines, so they might have the run of rural provinces without being able to take defended cities.

By the way, I think that Romans should be permitted to build a fortification in a province without a city; think of it as a border post or part of a frontier defensive line. They can develop a town within the walls later if they wish.

A siege is not always fought to a finish immediately, so a turn might end with the attacker occupying the province, but the defender still holding out behind the city walls. In this case neither players draws taxes from the province, nor can new units be placed there.

* or perhaps 10 in a major city/capital)?

Suggested new units placement limit:

major city - 5 units

small city/town - 2 units

Ships built off the coastline count towards this limit; the coast must be of a province containing a town/city

Regarding leaders in battle:

I much prefer the WOTR system of leaders having the ability to re-roll failed combat dice, rather than rolling a die of their own.

One big difference is that in WOTR leaders are never captured, they are simply eliminated if their army is destroyed. I'd keep the capture/ransom from classic COTE.

To develop this further; consider each player (6 player game) starts with 4 generals, each of whom can be given command of a legion. I've never been quite happy with the rule that when you eliminate a Caesar (which might have been largely the work of an ally) you get to control his entire remaining pieces. Instead, every time you capture an Eagle (i.e eliminate the last piece of an enemy legion) you get to use that legion's card/number, and get an extra general to command it. In games with fewer players, each might start with extra generals.

6 players x 4 generals = 24 legions
5 players x 5 generals = 25 legions
4 players x 6 generals = 24 legions

Using only half the board (25 provinces)

3 players x 4 generals = 12 legions
2 players x 6 generals = 12 legions

I also favour some system where captured generals might escape from prison, giving their captor an incentive to trade them in. Also, they are not teleported to your capital on capture; a prisoner must be carried around by the victorious army, though he may be taken to a strong fortress for safety, or shipped into exile on a remote island (which would drastically reduce his chances of escape).

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:27 am

One really cool idea would be to package the game along with an updated version of "Ave Caesar":

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/494/ave-caesar

Players can invest in a stadium for their capital, then stage race meetings with prize money in talents for the players. Stops your population revolting...

Maybe you can enter one of your generals; if he wins he gets a boost to his stats.

If you know the game, my preferred changes:

Turn order is first to last chariot on each round (rather than round the table)

Lead chariot playing a six (from a hand of 3 cards) crashes. Place chariot on its side where it crashed to provide an obstacle for other players. Chariots running out of cards before the finish line are also treated as crashed.

Cards 4-6 can jump over obstacles provided they end clear of them.

Cards 1-3 can be used to attack/whip another player when drawing alongside (either player's turn). Each player may reveal a 1-3 card, higher card wins the fight. Loser's chariot is reversed, its next turn must be used to turn back round (no card allowed). Cards used in fights are burned, so a few extra need to be added to each deck.

Chariots would of course be in the six player colours.

With the expansion 2 extra players (brown - Persian, white - Celtic) would be added along with a Grand 8-player track!