Some new pictures!

Newly released Conquest of the Empire by Eagle Games.
CanucKev

Post by CanucKev » Mon May 16, 2005 3:52 am

Well, you never can please everybody, can you? ;)

Adlertag, I gotta agree with you, those look like some great chairs to sit in! Unfortunately I wouldn't actually know since they're not mine ;) But if you can find a way to swipe them, and bring them by my place next time you're around here, we can see how good they really are, eh?

Larry brings up a couple good points, it's 100x easier to criticize something than to compliment it, and it's also 100x more effective. To me, there are some other things to keep in mind. Remember that this board is totally "naked", so to speak. During a game there will be masses of plastic units in 6 different colours all over the board. That will make a huge difference. Personally, I think the warmer colour over the land and the life in the sea animate the board a bit more - it looks ready to be fought over. Red, orange, yellow etc are much more lively, and attract attention a lot better, than blue or green. I know it's just colour (although, if it's just colour, why are we debating it?) but I'd rather conquer an 'orange' territory than a 'blue' one. Looks warmer ;)

Yes, the logo is huge, but so is the map! And personally, it doesn't distract me (although everyone is different). It also doesn't seem to be covering up much "useful" area - the northern section of some already large territories. Take for comparison A&A Europe. If, from that game, you merged however many territories you needed to get the same number as in CotE, the title would basically be invisible. As it is now, the smallest letter in the A&A title (the ampersand) is about the height of 2 lines of "other" print (ie, territory names). Likewise with the smallest letters in the CotE title ("of the"). I don't think it's a problem and it's useful for if you forget which game you're playing ;)

The art in the corners also gives it some style - and from what I've learnt of CotE, there's not much that could be added in the way of tables, anyway. The art makes it look "classic", but it's also very modern-looking. Especially when you compare it to the old board:

Now I know there are a lot of traditionalists out there (I'm one myself) but I like the new board a lot better. The old one looks flat, sterile, almost boring, and, well, old!

Also, those coins look sweet.

Anyway ... as you can tell, I like the board. Perhaps it's not perfect; there may even be a "logistical" problem once it's used in play. But I think it looks good, and worth fighting over. In any case, it's a huge improvement on the old board.

GROGnads

yeah, that's the ticket

Post by GROGnads » Mon May 16, 2005 4:30 am

Plastic is derived from PETROLIUM products a.k.a. OIL you 'SVU'-driving Terrorist abetting fools! And if you DRIVE by yourself, then you are twice as BAD! I HATE you!...and some of you twice as much!

SAVE on plastic = use less OIL
SAVE oil for food = U.N. disgrace
SAVE lives for goodness sakes! = na gonna hap'n, na feesbull, na munny init
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

Imperious leader

Post by Imperious leader » Mon May 16, 2005 2:46 pm

Im sorry i feel the old board is not nearly as bombastic as the modern incarnation. It has a more natural tone and the territories are easy to see and delininated better. The oceans are blue and the artwork does not overbear the final effort. It is a simple elegant map of the Roman world. The other map is from hades and is too angry- But the game is probably gonna be real good in spite of this. :D
We really need an Axis and Allies World War one game so i can play that on August 1st, 2014.

GROGnads

those COINS

Post by GROGnads » Mon May 16, 2005 9:35 pm

Well, if they ARE ''so sweet!'' then WHY not just make another GAME with those and leave the Army 'pieces' to US? ...
Here's MY 'name' for it and you are most welcome to USE it!

''Numismatics & Numerologists''~of which it would then BE of a truly pure 'collectible' nature-unlike the fabricated kind being foisted upon the 'public' in a few months!

''awwwww dammit, I got the early 'thin' Goering without the VAST 'stolen treasures' at 'Karinhalle'...damm!''

''CRAP! I got 'gimpy' Hitler-shown as just AFTER the July 20th, '44 Bombing attempt! double-DAWG-damm!''

''WOOT! I got the 'Patton' figure with the 'slacker-slappin', jack-boot launchin', 'OUR Blood, his Guts' ! ACTION! SUX to be YOU!''

''...all I got was a ROCK!''~''Charlie Brown'' during Halloween 'Trick or Treat'n

''Be sure to L@@K for and obtain the 'BOOT' figure and its *Special* ability~'posterior orifice intrusion'!''
NEW 'Advanced' ability-''BOOT to the head!''
"You had to 'GO'!?! Now we ALL have to 'GO'!" BIG Joe-"Kelly's Heroes"-the MOVIE

Craig A Yope

We don't need no stinkin' art work!!!!!

Post by Craig A Yope » Tue May 17, 2005 10:15 am

Got to agree with IL here. The old map is better.

I will probably become desensitized to the new map eventually, but why is there this need to do these kind of maps? Style over substance? Form over function? OOOOHHHH!!!!! Look at the pretty colors!!!!! WOOOOOWWWW!!!

Give me more go and less show! Form follows function. Quality trump quantity.

A good insight on map making can be found as part of the tribute to Redmond Simonsen, the head art guy at the old SPI.

http://strategypage.com/respect/article ... 005314.asp

Enjoy!

Craig

GROGnads

What do you expect?

Post by GROGnads » Thu May 19, 2005 5:56 pm

Since just HOW this 'appears' doesn't really matter MUCH due to the FACT that 'terrain', 'weather', TIME constraints, etc. are NOT taken into account, then they can have it LOOK however they want! It being ''too busy looking'' for some people's 'tastes' or inducing 'seizures' or 'headaches', might affect its visual appeal for some, but those are rare occurrances to the extreme, I'd suppose.

CanucKev

Post by CanucKev » Fri May 20, 2005 3:20 am

More pictures ... this time the plastic pieces - hopefully I don't offend Grognads too much!! ;)

Again, shamelessly lifted from the Eagle Games website forum ...

There are also blue, purple, yellow, green, and black pieces, but obviously they're all look the same.

Flashman

Post by Flashman » Fri May 20, 2005 4:16 am

I'm quite impressed with these figures, especially the legionary with the big shield - something manufacturers have struggled to produce effectively in the past.
I still don't like the small scale cavalry - these will be diverted into my History of the World set, and I'll use Hat figures for COTE.

I would really have liked to see some standard bearer figures to mark legions on the map instead of cramming all those pieces into a territory.