Building a web site.

I’m considering building (actually having built for me) a web site. I’d like your collective suggestions on how this should look. What it must have/ what it should avoid. I’m admittedly new to this planet and need your guidance
Larry

Post by Larry » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:31 pm

Djensen – Thanks for your kind offer.

pellulo

How about...

Post by pellulo » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:50 pm

...a newsletter monthly format, via e-mail, if a book is not done?, thanks, Pellulo
Pellulo

Autocad

Post by Autocad » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:39 pm

Here's my thought.

I started this www.avalonhillforum.com and to be quite frank, nobody visits. (well, very few) So I may end it when the domain runs out.

But this is what I learned. Type in AVALON HILL FORUM in a search engine, and my website is like the third one on the list. So I picked the right domain name.

I checked and www.AXISALLIESFORUM.COM is available! AXISANDALLIESFORUM.COM is available!
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/registra ... 07&ci=8962
So by registering these domain names, (while they are not taken), then link them to your new website.

That way people seaching for an AXIS and ALLIES forum, will end up at your site,

John

TheDS

Re: Building a web site.

Post by TheDS » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:22 pm

If I were to want to use an A&A website, it would probably be so I could dig up information about the game. The most recent rules, the evolution of the game over time, background information like why you made certain decisions, links to websites with strategy articles and game variations, and stuff like that. (Be picky about your links, though.) Most of that would be static (unchanging), so that once you did it, it wouldn't need to be updated very often.

When that's done, there could be some place to put the news related to A&A development, calls for playtesting, upcoming releases, ladder tournaments, etc. You'd have to find something to report about during the "dry" times so the newsfeed didn't start seeming stale. Something you could do once a day, or get someone to do for you, rather.

Then there might be some tools available, such as a dice roller for those doing PBEM, or perhaps your own game server for the computer versions. If you ever released an online-only version, that would be the place for it.

Other than that, I don't know what you'd use it for.

elbowmaster

Re: Building a web site.

Post by elbowmaster » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:02 am

Just don't post anything about ukuleles or poke too much fun at him. Larry must be mad he wasn't stationed in Hawaii. I did a lot of reflecting about my fallout with Larry. After deleting over 1000's of spam users and 10,000's of spam posts and keeping the site clean, one ukulele joke wrecked it all.